What Does a Construction Project Manager Do?
A Construction Project Manager is an experienced and educated construction professional who supervises all facets of a building project, working in tandem with contractors and subcontractors, architects, engineers, and other personnel.
Essentially, Construction Project Managers are responsible for organizing and overseeing all phases of the building process, from ensuring the project is completed on time and according to budget, to acting as the hub for all other professionals, to being the conduit between clients and crew.
Construction Project Manager Responsibilities
- Work with engineers and architects to translate their plans into detailed action items
- Be the point of contact for the client, answering questions, garnering input, and anticipating needs
- Oversight of the permitting and design evaluation process
- Schedule phases of construction to ensure deadlines and budgets are being met
- Work with architect and construction crew to translate plans and blueprints into reality
- Manage labor and timeline schedules and ensure tasks are being assigned and executed appropriately
- Negotiate with subcontractors, vendors, suppliers and others
- Estimate project costs and submit estimates to clients
- Monitor health and safety standards to ensure compliance
- Process change orders
Construction Project Manager Qualifications
- Experience in the field of Construction Project Management or Construction Management
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, civil engineering or related field
- PMP or equivalent certification preferred
- Experience with and understanding of construction procedures and project management principles
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, as well as ability to work under pressure
- Outstanding time-management ability, self-starter a must
- Ability to lead and motivate a team to produce top-tier work
- Knowledge of and familiarity with MS Office and construction and project management software
- Ability to create and adhere to budgets, including phased construction budgeting
- Knowledge of health and safety standards
Are you seeking a Construction Project Manager for your company or building project? As construction recruiters, we can help you refine your Construction Project Manager job description and assist you in finding the right candidate for your needs.
Are you seeking employment as a Construction Project Manager? View open positions here.