What does a Construction Estimator do?
An estimator is responsible for determining the total cost of a construction project. The first step of doing so involves validating the project’s Scope of Work, which lays out the entirety of work that needs to be done to complete the building project.
Construction cost estimators prepare estimates for building, road, and other construction projects. They may calculate the total cost of constructing a bridge or commercial shopping center, or they may calculate the cost of just one part, such as the foundation.
The estimator will be responsible for performing all facets of a commercial works estimate including quantities, costing, and sub-trade analysis for presentation and final review of major items.
Construction Estimator Responsibilities
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, and price lists.
- Reviews subcontractor bids and validation of work scopes.
- Design takeoff, track bid due dates, request, and review quotes from vendors.
- Designate day-to-day responsibilities for preconstruction personnel.
- Identify deficiencies in the drawings and generate pricing to cover them.
- Develop quantity-based estimates from partial information.
- Supports the estimating department in accumulating historical cost data.
- Verifies bid documents, plans, and specification review.
- Responsible for the timely completion and delivery of all client-required documents.
Construction Estimator Qualifications
- Construction Management, Engineering, or Business Degree preferred.
- Estimating experience as a general contractor, working on commercial/buildings and/or civil estimating projects.
- Ability to operate MS Office Suite, with strong spreadsheet skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as attention to detail.
- General knowledge of construction documents.
- Self-starter, comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
Are you seeking a Construction Estimator for your company or building project? As construction recruiters, we can help you refine your Construction Project Manager job description and assist you in finding the right candidate for your needs.
Are you seeking employment as a Construction Estimator? View open positions here.